Saturday, December 8, 2007

Almost done!

Wow, I can't believe my time here is almost over! I'm leaving in one week; I still have two exams to write and one essay, so I'm still quite busy. Christmas is in full swing here, as it is in other parts Europe. Lots of Christmas trees are up and lit around Reykjavik and soon the Yule Lads will start visiting the good children of Iceland with gifts and the naughty children of Iceland with potatoes! The first Yule Lad, Stekkjastaur, is visiting on December 12 and hopefully I'll get a couple of photos of him. Each Yule Lad is unique in personality and looks and Stekkjastaur's gimmick is his stick (stekk) and his penchant for sucking the milk from your ewes! Watch out!

To tide you over until the Yule Lads come, I've compiled some Top 5 lists:

Top 5 things I will miss about Iceland:

1. The most delicious tap-water I've ever tasted.
2. Being surrounded by mountains and ocean.
3. A thriving cafe culture with not a Starbucks or Second Cup in sight.
4. The landscapes.
5. Living in a small but busy city.

Top 5 things I will not miss about Iceland:

1. Steadily losing 6.5 minutes of daylight every day that I've been here.
2. The scent of sulphur in the hot water
3. The tiny bed in my room.
4. Very little fresh produce.
5. The cars and traffic.

Top 5 things I can't wait for at home:

1. My boyfriend!
2. Seeing my friends and family (espesh Gus, Valerie and Isabelle, Hi there!).
3. My apartment (with the new huge bed that I barely enjoyed before leaving.)
4. Fresh(er) produce.
5. My neighbourhood.

Finally, here is a funny story about something that happened in Reykjavik recently and so I'll share it with you. It's worth looking at!

2 comments:

Krissmc85 said...

must be exciting to be heading back home soon! your going to miss iceland, but at least you have some really nice pics!!

Anonymous said...

I hope you will keep writing this blog, Michelle!