Friday, November 9, 2007

This and that

I haven't much to report lately. I've been doing a lot of school work and even started studying for my exams! I've never started this far in advance, but I'm getting a little anxious. I'm also planning a quick trip to a northern city called Akureyri, so stayed tuned.

I've been reading a couple of blog written by Icelanders. Icecook is about Icelandic recipes and food culture, and The Iceland Weather Report is about Icelandic popular culture and where I usually find out about current events in Iceland, considering I can't (or don't even try really) read the local newspapers. One recent entry in the Weather Report is about how a group of Hell's Angels tried to unsuccessfully get past immigration, not for the first time, at Keflavik airport. Apparently there is already an established motorcycle gang here (with their headquarters behind an unnamed university residence) who is not part of the Hells Angels, but are desperately trying. So far Icelandic police have kept the Hell's Angels from even getting into Iceland, which keeps the local gang from officially joining their club.

On a totally un-Iceland-related note, I found a great recipe website called SOS Cuisine. Once you've registered and chosen your province, it will give you tons of information and recipes about and using fruit and vegetables in season in your area. If you shop at the main grocery chains, you can also use this site to see the prices of these seasonal fruits and vegetables.

Anywhoo, here's a little trick, courtesy of my friend Sean, I'm including just because I've got nothing else to report.

The rules:

1. Open your library (iTunes, Winamp, Media Player, iPod, etc)
2. Put it on shuffle
3. Press play
4. For every question, type the song that's playing
5. When you go to a new question, press the next button
6. Don't lie and try to pretend you’re cool

Opening Credits: "'Popplagið" - Sigur Rós
First Day At School: "Get To The Table On Time" - M. Ward
Falling In Love: "Dans les Rues de Paris" - Powersolo
Fight Song: "Baby Cool" - Oliver North Boy Choir
Prom: "Wishbone" - Architecture in Helsinki
Life's OK: "Mad World" - Gary Jules - what the?!
Mental Breakdown: "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" - Neil Young
Driving: "The Gulag Orkestar" - Beirut
Flashback: "On Our Way" - Yo La Tengo
Getting Back Together: "If It Smashes Down" - My Morning Jacket
Wedding: "Riddle of the Chamberlain" - Helium - this is AWFUL! I don't even know where this song came from!?
Birth of Child: "I Believe in You" - Neil Young
Final Battle: "Ikke Rigtig I Mit Hoved" - The Sterling - blech, this if off an Airwaves cd, gotta get rid of that stuff
Death Scene: "Happiness Writes White" - Harvey Danger
Funeral Song: "They Were Kings" - Going Out With The Heavy Trash
End Credits: "Samskeyti" - Sigur Rós

Neato! I started and ended with a Sigur Rós song.
Popplagið means pop song, and Samskeyti means seam or joint.

And without further ado...
Sigur Rós's Samskeyti

No comments: