Sunday, September 12, 2010

I love Bircher Muesli! When I was in Australia in August, my sister introduced me to Carman's Natural Bircher Muesli which I just loved. I bought a box to bring home, but I finished it long ago.


What is Bircher Muesli? Wikipedia wasn't too much help when I did my own research to figure out the difference between regular muesli and Bircher muesli. But I think Bircher usually has dried fruit, toasted nuts and honey. The traditional method of preparation is to mix the 500g box of Bircher muesli with 1000g of yogurt and a grated apple.

Edit: I actually mix all this together and keep in the fridge the whole week. I take out the amount I want each morning for breakfast and maybe add a dab of peanut butter and some cinnamon. By Friday, the mixture is really tasty and the texture really pleasing.

At my sister's place, we prepared it as if it were oatmeal (in hot water with a mashed banana) and it was delicious. When I got home, I decided to prepare the box I had brought in the suggested way, with the yogurt and apple. It was just so delicious!

So, in the last two weeks, I've been experimenting in making my own Bircher muesli: oats, raisins, walnuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, tons of cinnamon and a few butterscotch chips. It's good, but it's no Carman's.

Carman, when will you make your products available in Canada? Or allow me to order it online?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been a meusli girl for decades. There is a bulk meusli at the bulk store at the Atwater market that I like. I have it usually with yoghurt, a couple of stewed prunes and whatever fruit is in season. I used to do the grated apple, but the prunes are about 2 minutes faster in the morning!

Dana said...

mmm, carmen's!! they've just come out with some new products, including granola bars with dark choc topping.yummy!