Monday, June 8, 2009

I spent almost the whole day yesterday meditating. Starting at 9:45am, I stopped talking and started meditating with a group I've been learning about meditation with for the last 5 weeks, led by an instructor.

From 9:45am to noon, we did some kripalu yoga and a sitting meditation. From noon until 1:15pm was a lunch break; I went to a park and soaked up some sun, totally in silence. From 1:15 to about 2:30 we did a body scan meditation and a walking meditation.

Finally we sat in a circle and everyone was invited to say a few words about how the day affected them. Let me tell you, that was an intense way to wrap up the day. A few in the group became very emotional, including me!

Today I'm still feeling the effects of yesterday's meditations: peacefulness, calmness. I never thought this meditation program would have such an effect on the rest of my life, even though that was my goal in getting involved. I wasn't so much suspicious, as much as simply not convinced that it could be so powerful.

Do you meditate?

2 comments:

Eleanor Gang said...

When I was 15, I started doing transcendental meditation, practising faithfully for about three years. Then I just stopped. Since then, I have meditated sporadically when I felt I needed the downtime, or if I had an especially tenacious headache. I think it would probably be good for me to start again, but I don't know if I will.

Anonymous said...

I don't meditate. Yet. I'd like to. I think I need to. I've been thinking about it for a while and would like to hear more about where you did your group thing yesterday.