Friday, September 28, 2007

Fush and chups

Last night I went to an "organic bistro" that serves fish and chips. I mentioned it in this blog before. I ended up having catfish, tarragon and white truffle skyronnaise, crispy potatoes and a glass of Pilsner with 4.5% alcohol, which used to be the only beer Icelanders could drink (though at 2.2% alcohol) during prohibition. What kind of prohibition is that? So far I'm noticing that the tourism here loves to attach little stories to every little thing in order to sell it. Nothing wrong with that - gotta make money, right? But I'm learning to be more choosy in light of this insight.

A couple of other interesting things from last night;
Who doesn't need a horse lamp?

And some Bill Murray graffiti:

The Reykjavik International Film Festival started yesterday and I went to see The Banishment, a Russian movie. It was pretty depressing, but the cinematography was pretty nice. Tonight I'm going to see a bunch more movies, but the best will be Heima; a documentary made by Sigur Ros about a tour they did of Iceland last year. Watch the trailer below! If it turns out that you don't like the music, the trailer is worth watching to get a feeling for the landscapes here. Last night was the premiere of the film, but it was sold out and when I picked up the ticket for tonight's screening, I was told it was the last one!


After watching the trailer for Heima, I realized that I can only now watch bands play outside. And not just anywhere; I mean outside with beautiful landscapes and backdrops.

Tomorrow, I'm going to a screening of Jaws, underwater! A sound and screen system has been set up inside a pool so that the only way to see or hear the movie is to swim under water!

2 comments:

Robert said...

I watched the Utube video, and it's certainly not a landscape that I'm familiar with. I think I would find it dreary.

Anonymous said...

that trailer waas amazing! your bloug is amazing, you rrealling coming into to your own as a travel writer.