Sunday, May 31, 2009

What I would like to know (and I can't find a straight answer on the internet) is if an infection can be treated with antibiotics, does that mean that that's the only way to get rid of it?

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering through a second sinus infection! The first one was about 2 months ago. I went to the doctor who prescribed antibiotics and the infection gone in 3 days. But now it seems it's back. I can't explain exactly how I know it's a sinus infection and not a regular cold; I can just feel it. But I don't want to go back on antibiotics, so I've started doing sinus rinses! And I've got Mark (who suffers from seasonal allergies) hooked on them too! 

But I just need to know: can you get rid of a bacterial sinus infection without antibiotics? Can other infections that are usually treated with antibiotics be gotten rid of without drugs?




5 comments:

Unknown said...

No, you do not need antibiotics.

Mark Lawson said...

Yes, you do need antibeetotiks

Dana said...

here's my un-medical opinion (although i think you should remember I do have "PhD candidate" written on my e-mail signature.
your body might be able to fight it on its own, but it might not, and that infection could lead to something more serious. so just go get the antibiotics and finish the whole bottle even if you feel better after the first day or two (cause unfinished courses of antibiotics leads to bacterial resistance).

Unknown said...

I think doctors hand out antibiotics for any little thing instead of letting your body fight of the infection.They should save the antibiotics for something serious.

Marcle said...

Hot green tea, plenty of it. Go! Do it!